Green Bean Casserole is the meal that everyone looks forward to during the holidays, but it’s so simple to prepare that you can serve it every day.
It’s created by Campbell Test Kitchen Manager Dorcas Reilly in 1955, is popular because of its creamy, smooth sauce and unrivaled taste, as well as its simplicity.
This family friendly side has been a favorite for almost 60 years, requiring just five ingredients and ten minutes to prepare.
A Holiday Green Bean Casserole
It is one of my all-time favorite dishes. This is a variation of the classic Campbell’s green bean casserole that most of us remember from our childhood. I like it since it recalls me of my youth, yet I also like a homemade green bean casserole. This recipe takes absolutely no time to prepare, making it the most simple side dish you’ve ever had!
To Prepare Ahead of Time
It’s possible to prepare this meal up to 48 hours ahead of time. Prepare as instructed, but set aside the crispy onion topping in a separate container to avoid sogginess. I normally put them in a sealed sandwich bag and sprinkle them on top of the dish before baking.
Before baking, take the dish out of the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. You may need to add up to 10 minutes to the cooking time if it’s really chilly.
How To Make Green Bean Casserole?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large microwave-safe dish, combine the green beans and soup.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine all ingredients and cook on HIGH for 2 minutes, or until warm (3 to 5 minutes).
- Add 1/2 cup of cheese and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the green bean mixture to a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese and French fried onions.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake until the cheese has melted and the onions have started to brown.