Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe is One of our favorite sauce recipes. We like to create teriyaki pork, teriyaki chicken, teriyaki fish, and even teriyaki chicken wings with it!
Teriyaki sauce is readily available in stores, but it tastes far better when prepared from scratch. It keeps in the fridge for approximately three weeks, so I like to make it with balsamic vinaigrette for salads and even Italian dressing. Everything is made using simple components!
What Is Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe?
Teriyaki Sauce Recipe is a thick, rich sauce with a lot of umami tastes. Ingredients in Teriyaki Sauce Recipe include:
- Base: Water with soy sauce. For extra flavor, I normally use orange juice (or even pineapple juice) in place of half of the water. While I often use reduced sodium teriyaki sauce, I like to use traditional Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe in this dish.
- Aromatics: This sauce’s taste is enhanced by the addition of garlic and ginger. I freeze ginger and then peel out a piece when I need it, or grate it straight from the freezer for Stir Fry.
- Sweetness: If you don’t have any brown sugar on hand, you may use a little of white sugar or even honey.
This teriyaki marinade is further enhanced with sesame seeds, green (or chopped white) onions, and citrus zest.
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe Ingredients
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together 1 cup water, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, ginger, and garlic powder.
- Cook for approximately 1 minute, or until almost heated through.
- In a cup, combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water; mix until completely dissolved.
- Add the ingredients to the pot.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes.